It is vital that you follow these safety tips when lighting your candle.
- Never leave your candle burning unattended.
- Keep your candle out of reach of children and pets.
- Never burn your candle on or near anything that might catch fire.
- Be sure your candle is placed on a stable, heat-resistant surface.
- Keep burning candles away from any drafts.
- Don’t burn your candle all the way down – know when to say goodbye, and leave 1/2 inch of wax in the bottom of the container.
- Never touch or move a burning candle when the wax is liquid.
- Place burning candles at least 10cm apart from one another.
- Use a snuffer to avoid hot wax splattering, and never use water to put out the flame.
- Trim your wick before burning so the flame doesn’t smoke, flicker or rise too high.
Trimming the wick
It is important to trim your wick before each burn. If your candle wick is too long it can cause smoking, and burn the sides of the glass. We recommend a cut length of 1/4 inch using a wick trimmer, but smaller household scissors also work. Make sure to only trim your wick once the wax has cooled to avoid excess wick dropping into the melted wax. Having a longer wick will only cause the flame to burn through your wax much quicker
Re-using the container
If you plan on reusing your candle holder, a good way to remove the excess wax is to freeze the holder and allow the wax to shrink. Otherwise, run your holder under warm water and use a little washing up liquid to scrub out the remainder. Soy wax has a lower melt point than paraffin, so you can avoid using boiling water. Take care not to use any sharp or metal objects on the glass as this can remove our white paintwork. With a little gentle persuasion, the sticky tab holding your wick in place, should be easily picked off.
Tunneling is the term used to describe when wax near the centre of a candle burns deeper than the edges. To avoid this, it’s vital that you get your first burn just right. Normally 1 hour per inch in diameter will allow for tunneling to be avoided – this creates what’s known as a memory ring. After your first burn, try to avoid lighting the candle for short periods of time to avoid tunneling later on. However, make sure to never burn your candle for more than 4 hours at a time, and let it cool for at least 2 hours before relighting.
As our candles are made from natural soy wax, they can sometimes differ in appearance. This will not affect the quality or burn time of your candle. We also avoid using dyes in our candles, but fragrance oils can differ in shade and therefore may tint the wax. Each and every Só Soy candle is uniquely hand poured from a small batch, so wax weight can vary slightly.
Yes, our full product collection is vegan friendly and cruelty free. We never use ingredients that are derived from animal products in the production of our candles. We’re also against animal testing.